The Legal Officer will be responsible, in liaison with the Legal Manager, for safeguarding the Company’s Legal interests in its operations by ensuring legal compliance, continuous legal risk assessments of the company operations and mitigation of potential risks identification.
Duties And Responsibilities
• Participate in ensuring the company’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements by monitoring changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and taking appropriate action.
• Liaise with business team leaders to identify legal issues and risks and provide appropriate advice, legal and business support on the same by undertaking research and drafting legal opinions.
• Preparing legal documents including contracts and leases, and preparing and monitoring the contract and property schedules.
• Participate in managing bad debt portfolio by maintaining the debtor’s schedule and following up on the collection of outstanding debts referred to Legal function.
• In-house reference point on Legal issues touching on the day-to-day operations of the various functional units
• Participate in the management of litigation involving the Company in liaison with external lawyers assigned.
• Actively participating in the company’s safety and quality programs in order to play an advisory role on attendant legal obligations with regard to safety and quality specifications
• Participate in the Company record management through effective archiving
• Ensuring that the company’s rights and interests including intellectual property are not infringed upon
• Participate in the Company’s ethics and compliance program
• Generally supporting various functions in the business.
• Any other duties commensurate with this role.
Qualifications, Skills And Experience
• Bachelor of Law Degree and an advocate of the High Court;
• A minimum of two (2) years of post-graduate experience
• Sound legal knowledge and strong commercial focus;
• High personal integrity
• Knowledge of contract drafting and litigation skills
• Effective communication and negotiation skills
• Membership to the Law Society of Kenya
• Membership in the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries will be an added advantage
• Ability to work in a demanding environment with client focus and attention to details
• Good computer literacy, strong presentation, problem-solving, report writing, and analytical skills.
• Good team player who is result oriented.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor’s degree