Kihara Njuguna & Company Advocates is a leading law firm in East Africa that provides reliable and efficient corporate and commercial legal services. Our team is committed to understanding our clients’ unique needs and providing tailored solutions. We aim to create a profound impact on the region’s corporate and commercial landscape and establish a legacy of success and prosperity for all our stakeholders.
This is a full-time hybrid role for a Conveyancing & Litigation Associate. The Conveyancing & Litigation Associate will be responsible for daily activities such as drafting pleadings, motions, and conducting research, attending depositions and court hearings while also handling conveyancing matters. The successful candidate will work primarily from our Nairobi offices, but flexibility to work remotely is available.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Generating additional Business for the firm from new and existing clients.
• Client Management and retention.
• Providing legal and technical advice including legal opinions.
• Ensure billing and collection of deposits and fees.
• Keep abreast with legal developments, court decisions.
• Prepare update memos to clients on a timely basis.
• Consultations with clients and counsel as well as reviewing new legislation.
• Research on a diverse range of assigned issues, documents, and case histories to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedures.
• Receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and decide on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests.
• Have a working knowledge in case analysis, development of case and litigation strategy, identifying the procedure rules for the various courts and other arbitral fora.
• Drafting, preparing and reviewing litigation documents including pleadings, notices, affidavits & correspondence.
• Conduct research and collect evidence appropriate to litigation cases.
• Attend court matters within and outside Nairobi.
• Understand procedural aspects regarding pleadings, filing, applications, and hearings.
• Giving legal opinions and advice on any areas of the law arising litigation.
• Conducting negotiations with a view to settling potentially litigious matters.
• Conducting the administration of an advocate’s practice, including file management and electronic time-keeping.
• Advice clients on the legal processes involved in purchasing and selling of property.
• Provide legal opinions and advice on commercial transactions and matters relating to property and real estate.
• Conduct due diligence on conveyancing transactions, prepare sale agreements and completion documents, and ensure proper registration of documents.
• Carrying out the negotiation, drafting, and review of commercial contracts/agreements, legal documents and ensuring they are duly executed.
• Work to protect the interest of clients & ensure they are protected against fraud and money laundering activities.
• Prepare property lease agreements and ensure contracts are signed on the scheduled date of transfer.
• Conduct searches at appropriate registries.
• Conduct site visits to properties pertaining to client’s transactions.
• Prepare security documents and ensure proper execution and registration.
• Register and deregister encumbrances.
• Draw up and effect transfers of property.
• Oversee the fast-tracking and diligent handling of all client matters before the Lands Registry, Local Authorities, and Survey of Kenya & National Lands Commission.
• To be responsible for the administration of all post-completion procedures including the making of Land Registry applications, Stamp Duty Land Tax Returns submission, and service of notices relating to assignments and mortgages of leasehold property.
• Liaising with clients and key stakeholders such as banks, mortgage lenders, estate agents, land valuers and surveyors.
• Researching information and communicating with clients.
• Sending terms of engagement and estimates of fees and disbursements.
• Informing clients on the progress of their transactions while professionally answering their inquiries.
Qualifications & Requirements
• One to Three (1-3) years post admission experience in a busy law firm with sound knowledge of and experience in litigation with skills and expertise in prosecuting and defending civil, commercial, constitutional, judicial review, labour and land matters.
• An upper 2nd Bachelors of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized university.
• Advocate of the High Court.
• A valid practicing certificate.
• Must have hands on experience in interpretation & application of legal texts, statutes, rules & regulations.
Competencies & Skills
• Exceptional research and drafting skills.
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Highly disciplined with ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to develop positive relationship with clients & manage/meet client expectations.
• Able to demonstrate acumen in business development.
• Proactive, self-motivated and aggressive.
• Excellent knowledge and practical understanding of the legal and judicial systems.
• High degree of responsibility, professional ethics and personal integrity at a personal and professional level.
• Ability to develop positive relationship with clients and manage/meet client expectations.
• Excellent analytical writing, oral presentation, organizational and computer skills.
• Good knowledge and experience in research skills and drafting of legal documents.
• Excellent communication and Presentation skills.
• Ultimate customer service skills.
• Proactive, aggressive and self-motivated.
• Team player with leadership skills.
• Ability to manage pressure and meet targets.
• Ability to demonstrate acumen in business development.
• Work independently with minimum or no supervision and ready to lead.
• High Level of accuracy and attention to detail