Deloitte provides audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. With a globally connected network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte brings world-class capabilities and high-quality service to clients, delivering the insights they need to address their most complex business challenges. Deloitte has approximately 456,800 professionals all committed to becoming the standard of excellence of professional services firms.
Deloitte’s professionals are dedicated to strengthening corporate responsibility, building public trust, and making a positive impact in their communities, and enjoy an environment of continuous learning, challenging experiences, and enriching career opportunities. All our professionals are united by our shared values, a set of core principles that guide our collective behavior. They set the expectations we have for one another and define how we as stewards of Deloitte, should behave. They provide common ground to unite us across cultures and geographies. And, importantly, they help us to earn the trust and respect of our key stakeholders. Our shared values are: Lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for measurable impact.
Deloitte East Africa provides seamless cross-border services to multinationals, large national enterprises, small and medium sized enterprises and the public sector, across three (3) countries in the region: Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
A career with Deloitte offers you the opportunity to engage with and work alongside leading corporations within the East African region, and an opportunity to start and grow your career within a dynamic and rewarding environment. You will get the support, coaching and training needed to advance your career in Kenya and within the East Africa market.
About the Department
The Quality, Independence, Risk & Reputation and Office of the General Counsel function deals with any issues that potentially expose Deloitte to risk. The risk issues impacting the firm are varied and may include reputational, operational, litigation and regulatory risk.
Risk Management is about identifying and managing risks to the firm. This includes checks necessary to ensure that the individual professionals act and make decisions that achieve the objectives of the firm, comply with professional and legal requirements and that are ethical.
The Legal Counsel team provides internal legal assistance to the Firm in contracting, legal advisory, company secretarial, disputes management, litigation and compliance.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic person to join our Internal Client Services Department – Quality, Independence, Risk & Reputation & Office of the General Counsel as a Legal Officer.
What impact will you make?
At Deloitte we have a clear purpose, to make an impact that matters to our clients, our colleagues and our communities while you thrive in a dynamic culture of inclusion, collaboration and high performance. From professional development to leadership opportunities and career advancement, we empower our people to be their very best - because that’s how you make an impact.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing legal support and advisory in execution of goals and strategy of the legal team.
What you will do
• Monitor and review changes in laws, regulations and related policies in Deloitte East Africa;
• Manage the regulatory framework and ensure legislative compliance in Deloitte East Africa including legal risks identification and mitigation;
• Management of litigation and regulatory investigations;
• Draft and review legal agreements including attending contract negotiation meetings, ensure all contracts accurately reflect negotiated terms and are maintained in the contracting system from start to end;
• Undertake quality legal research, draft legal opinions and respond to legal enquiries from different member firms within the Deloitte network;
• Assist in all Company Secretarial related services to Deloitte Member Firms in East Africa (DEA Member Firms) which includes maintaining the DEA Member firms legal structure, filings notifications at the Registrar of Companies, maintaining statutory books of the DEA Member Firms, drafting resolutions as may be required from time to time and updating the governance documents of the DEA Member Firms;
• Attend to correspondence and management of relationships with external legal counsels and any applicable regulatory bodies;
• Implement global and regional policies of confidentiality and financial crimes;
• Champion anti-corruption and anti-money laundering initiatives; and
• Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Law from a reputable university.
• Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
• At least six years’ post admission experience in the provision of legal services in a reputable law firm or the legal department of an international or leading organization.
• Strong technical legal and commercial skills including experience in contracting, commercial law and financial crimes law.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work with others and manage multiple time sensitive matters in a demanding organization.
• Ability to take initiative and analyze issues and generate potential solutions.
• Experience in the provision of company secretarial services.
• Goal oriented – seek to understand the mission of Deloitte and contribute towards its attainment.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Good interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Mentorship and coaching ability with desire to develop self and others.
• Strong client delivery focus.
• Adaptable, managing change and ambiguity with ease.
• Focus on quality and risk.
• Problem solving ability.
• Good business acumen.
• High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
• Demonstrably planning and organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines.
• Expert in field with sound industry and business knowledge.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• Experienced in communication and implementation of strategy.
• Proven ability to manage and execute projects.
• Experienced in development and delivery of professional presentations.
• Good presentation and report writing skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Your role as a leader
At Deloitte we believe in the importance of leadership at all levels. We expect our people to embrace and live our purpose by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters.
Leadership / Behavioural Capabilities
Living our Purpose - Builds own understanding of our purpose and values; explores opportunities for impact.
Influence - Actively focuses on developing effective communication and relationship-building skills.
Performance drive - Understands expectations and demonstrates personal accountability for keeping performance on track.
Strategic direction - Understands how their daily work contributes to the priorities of the team and the business.
Talent development - Demonstrates strong commitment to personal learning and development; acts as a brand ambassador to help attract top talent.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do research to know some background about our firm and the business area you are applying to.
If you meet the above requirements, please visit our website and apply online: Deloitte East Africa Careers portal.
Your details will be treated with confidentiality and will not be shared with any third party.
Closing date: 26 January 2024
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not ask individuals to pay any fees or money as part of the recruitment process. Women and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
At Deloitte, we want everyone to feel they can be themselves and to thrive at work—in every country, in everything we do, every day. We aim to create a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and with respect, including reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. We seek to create and leverage our diverse workforce to build an inclusive environment across the African continent